There is no better way to renew the appearance of a scratched, timeworn finish than buffing the floor. While buffing is part of the professional process of wood floor restoration, it can also serve as a standalone process for restoring the brilliance of a tired floor. Our sanding and buffing process experts in Surrey are able to provide you with the right solution for your wood floor, ensuring that you get value for money through the money.
Buffing is popularly called the screen and recoat technique, and as the saying goes, buffing isn’t meant to remove heavy damage like deep scratches and dents—just surface damage. It is also a means of protecting a wooden floor, or rather, deferring the need for a major refinish or replacement work. Our customers, over the years, have been consistently surprised that a wood floor buffing process was able to achieve the results it did; an extremely happy with the money they saved.
Why buff your wooden floor in Surrey?
Buffing entails lightly sanding away the worn finish and covering the wood with a new coat of finish. Buffing isn’t meant to eliminate the stain or colour. Instead, it is merely to strip away the outside layers of the wood floor’s protective coating.
When to buff your wooden floor
This is dependent on the condition of your old finish. If your wooden floor is chipped, peeling, or exhibits discoloration, then buffing may not do the job. Sanding and refinishing, however, will. But then, if your finish has grown dull because of surface scratches and wear caused by your daily activities, then buffing and recoating the affected areas or the whole floor will restore the beauty of the floor surface. It is all about the level of wear and damage.
Our wood floor buffing professionals can advise you on the best process for your floors. We are on the end of the phone ready to advise, and can come to you for a free Surrey wood floor assessment.
When buffing will not work
Before buffing, it is vital to determine the type of finish that is present on your wooden floor. A wooden floor previously finished with wax or oil-based products has to be stripped of the old compound before buffing.
- When the wooden floor was previously treated with a wax finish. The result of buffing and recoating such a floor may be unsatisfactory, because the new finish can react with the old one. This leads to peeling and blistering. There are only two ways out of this. One is by reapplying wax to the floor before buffing. The other is by completely stripping the wax finish through a sanding process.
- If your old floor was treated with aluminium oxide, then the buffing and recoating process will likely not be successful. Sanding and refinishing the floor are recommended in this case.
- If your goal is to change your floor’s colour, then buffing and recoating will not do the job. Completely sanding the floor to reveal a fresh layer of the wood and then applying new stain with the colour you want will get it done.
- Buffing and recoating will not resolve issues with discolouration of your wooden floors caused by ultraviolet radiation.
How buffing and coating benefit you and your wooden floor
- It adds value and beauty to your home.
- It’s much faster and easier than sanding and refinishing for removing scratches inflicted by furniture, shoes, and other abrasions.
- Buffing can be a great way to suspend the need for a total refinishing project.
- Replacing wooden floors isn’t only comprehensive; it can be expensive too. While sanding and refinishing aren’t as costly, buffing a wooden floor is the most cost-effective option for most wooden floors.
- Buffing, if done properly, can give your wooden floor the same refreshing appearance you would get through a refinishing process.
If you are ever in doubt whether your wooden floor in Surrey needs buffing and recoating, or if you ever need a quote for buffing and recoating your floor, GJP Floor Sanding and Wood Buffing Surrey is at your service. Give us a call and find out how we have made hundreds of flooring customers in Surrey happy over the years.
Really pleased with the end result. Would highly recommend the company for their professional approach and high standard of workmanship.
Thanks it looks amazing. Well done to all the guys who did a splendid job on time. Cleared all rubbish aways as well. Highly recommended. – 30/11/2010
The work was carried out efficiently with a professional service. Where the job ended up being more complex that first envisaged the GJP team invested extra time to sort things out. We were very pleased with the work done. Rachael Atkinson 30/10/2010.
I should like to say that we are very impressed by the work done – the floor looks incredible and also the clear up job afterwards was very professional. There was no mess at all and it was dust free. (I’m not sure how you managed that). Oliver Gillespie 10/12/2010.
Stunning bamboo flooring beautifully fitted – really neat . Everything done to minimise stress & disruption. Polite friendly service from beginning to end. 100% satisfaction.